Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Lab 6: Dot Density



I used some outside sources as references to help complete this lab, including this, this, and this. The last one was especially helpful because it listed the actual number of pre-1939 houses by city, which [after doing some simple math] used to figure out how many dots I should cluster around that one city. This is a lot better method than wild guessing. The other sources two helped greatly in placing the non-city dots.

The basic problem was "How many dots should I use"/"How big should they be"...Since most parts of the state are sparsely populated, having them too-few/small would leave out a lot of detail. Having too many/big creates unintentional "megalopolises", maybe engulfing the whole county from one city. I'm happy with my final product because I think I mostly avoided that problem. [Except maybe at Wheeling (which is in the third county down in the northern panhandle).]

No comments: